3.14 Apply probability distributions in solving problems – Overview
(91586) NZC Level 8, NCEA Level 3: Statistics and Probability
External 4 credits
This standard is derived from Achievement Objective S8.4, Investigate situations that involve elements of chance.
- calculating and interpreting expected values and standard deviations of discrete random variables
- applying distributions such as the Poisson, binomial and normal
Methods are selected from those related to:
- discrete and continuous probability distributions
- mean and standard deviation of random variables
- distribution of true probabilities versus distribution of model estimates of probabilities versus distribution of experimental estimates of probabilities.
Students should be able to calculate the mean and standard deviation from a plot of the distribution of a discrete random variable, linking probabilities and areas under density functions for continuous outcomes.
Add a teaching resource
Have you created a resource which is suitable for CensusAtSchool and you would like to share with other teachers?